Random Gallery Image

Recent Gallery Image

Go Back   Wolfegar Forums > General > Games and Silly Stuff

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #961
Victoria
Super Moderator

Victoria is on a distinguished road
My life doesn't seem to have much to talk about lol. However I did go on a bus trip from the village, 1 1/2 hours to the east coast to a nice little town there. We had a lovely lunch at an RSA (Returned Services Association) place. They seem to cater for busloads of oldies and do a buffet lunch. We were the first sitting, so got all the food straight from being cooked rather than sitting in a warmer for ages, and it was very nice indeed. This town is near where one of the major gold mining areas, and in some places you can see the remains of the old concrete workings.

We are having a brief return to winter, after beautiful weather last week, but I think the farmers must be grateful for plenty of rain at the start of summer. Not quite as much as some places have had perhaps. And snow down south.

Played since Feb 2004, member since May 2004
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #962
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
I still read most days, Tanje, but rarely post. Happy thanksgiving to you and Wolfie.

That sounds like a fun fay out, Wiki.

We had ice on cars this morning and there was ice on the roof of my car at around 5.20pm when I was leaving work. Luckily the windscreen was ice free at that time.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #963
Moelisa
Stalker of Wolves (Well one anyway.)

Moelisa is on a distinguished road
I read, Tanje, but I don't always have something to say Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
Cosdara, we've had that for the last days - I am soooooo glad I have a garage, even if it's not close to the house I live in (about 600 metres away). The walk through the cold at least wakes me up
Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but our office building only has 3 rooms, no space for a toilet. Our toilets are in a building about 150 metres away. Sooo this time of the year, I call it the season of having to know 5 minutes in advance if you have to go for a wee With all the stuff you're dressed in (coat, chemise, leggings underneath trousers etc), it takes a bit longer to have everything removed.... And don't even mention cold fingers
We've planned our office Christmas meal for 29th November, and I have booked the table from 12:30 onwards. Of course, yesterday I got a request to interpret on a meeting between our Commander and the German Police and Fire Brigade for an exercise the CO is planning - guess which day? I was assured, though, the meeting would finish by 12:30, so hopefully I'll only be a little late for the meal and not miss it completely. There's even a chance for that to happen as the Commanding Officer has been invited to it as well, and he can speed the meeting up a bit.

Moelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #964
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Tanje is on a distinguished road
I figured all our "regulars" read but didnt post. It's OK. I just sometimes feel funny posting 3 times in a row.
I dare to say most of you have a LOT more going on than I do. I dont go out or socialize much at all. Seems all my friends have died, moved away or just dont bother with me anymore. Yes that covers all 3 of my friends I have. About all I have to talk of is what illness I am currently having. What a mess.

Tanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #965
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
I don't often have much to talk about other than work, which is very stressful currently so I prefer to try and forget about it in the evening if I can. Tonight I have a tap class to go to though, and that is a good thing. I danced for a number of years as a child and tap was always my favourite, but I stopped when I was 11. I took tap back up at an adult class in September and am loving it.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #966
Moelisa

Cosmic Dancer, I'd love to find an Irish Dance class somewhere close where I could go - so far no luck, but I won't give up
Tanje, with the beautiful stones you paint, and the other crafts you are doing, and your cooking/baking - is there no craft group nearby, or a cooking/baking group that you could go to to meet new people? Some of them may become friends? I love my Tai-Chi, it's sport, but a sort of gentle sport exercising all your muscles, sinews, and your brain - it's also not age dependant, you can start any time in your life, and there's no force involved. Reading groups are another way of meeting new people. They're only strangers the first time you meet.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #967
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Ah I would have to go out to these classes and meet people, something I just dont have the will or energy for. I fear I am just like my Grandmother. All thru my childhood I dont ever remember her going out anywhere.

Well they are forecasting blizzard conditions and a foot of snow for us today. Been saying this is coming today (sunday) for the past few days. I sure hope they are wrong.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #968
Moelisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanje View Post
Ah I would have to go out to these classes and meet people, something I just dont have the will or energy for. I fear I am just like my Grandmother. All thru my childhood I dont ever remember her going out anywhere.
Umm I think that is how you meet people? You are always so willing to help people in RS, or try out all the new stuff, I would have thought this is just right for you, either learning new things or teaching the "youngsters" how it's done properly.
Though I can understand with the weather forecast you're having that you don't want to go anywhere brrrrrr.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #969
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

For someone as outgoing as you Moelisa I think it is difficult to understand my mindset. I really am not much of a people person, never have been. I rarely had a lot of friends, usually just one or two and home has always been my favorite place. My whole family was a lot like this as well. Im not unfriendly just not outgoing.

Well we got our snowstorm last night, complete with a brief power outage. Thank goodness that didnt last! Some people are still without power in the nearby suburbs. How much snow? 10-12 inches of very heavy wet stuff, hence the downed power lines from broken tree branches most likely. So today is a stay at home day for me. Wolfie made it out and to work so hope the roads will be cleared better when he gets home.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #970
Keruval
Super Poster

Keruval is on a distinguished road
Tanje, I can partially understand because I am a fairly 'people' person but since moving 18 mths ago I have found it difficult to build a new social circle. Unfortunately I can't stop comparing it to the social circle I built up over a period of 50 yrs in the same area,although rationally I know it takes time and effort.
General health makes a big difference too, even minor health issues are draining and take away motivation, think mainly what has happened to me this past year ( my shoulder/arm is still not right after more than 15 mths on top of other existing problems)
I know you do crafts, is there anything like my local Knit&Natter group? Coffee mornings? I can't quite visualise your geographical situation but I think you are not really in walking distance of social events?
I am hoping things will improve with me now that I have sold the Yeovil house and can invest something in this one. We have just had solar panels installed plus a huge storage battery, so we are absorbed in monitoring our power generation Chris has taken up SunGod worship
Our weather see-saws from bright to dull, warmer than usual to distinctly chilly, never know more than a few days in advance what the trend is.

Keruval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #971
Victoria
Super Moderator

Victoria is on a distinguished road
I consider I have a social connection here with the clan, and I chat with Mausey most afternoons in RS. We have known each other a long time now, and hear all about each other's goings on.

My Saturday afternoon group (when I don't have family visiting) are a very nice group of women, and I enjoy that contact too, I also like my home (and my computer) so I'm content for now with that.

Played since Feb 2004, member since May 2004
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #972
Moelisa

Tanje, I do understand - I may seem outgoing to you, but it costs me a lot of effort; I am okay in groups where I know people, but any major event where I only know the host/ess, and I am uncomfortable. Born hermit here
So of course, my orthopaedic doctor prescribed what they call "functional training" for me, for at least a year, with the local osteoporosis self-help group I rang them yesterday to see what on earth they really do, and decided it's something I can live with and which doesn't interfere too much with my Tai-Chi. So I will send the paperwork from the doctor to my Health Insurance asking them to take over the cost. That will be a whole lot of new people I have to meet.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #973
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

No such thing as "walking distance" here where I live. Everything is driving. I could walk about the subdivision, but all that is here is houses. Outside of us is highway so no safe place to walk. I am sure there are clubs and such somewhere here. It just isnt "in me" to seek them out or join. I have thought about it but just dont seem to want to enough. My interests also dont jive with most peoples. Hobbies I do (dont do anymore actually) dont either. Plus there is that constant nagging of the minor health issues and now winter. I find that most of the time I dont care and never feel "alone" or sad or such. Then I read how "shut ins" die earlier than those with a wide base of friends etc and think, I should join something. Then that voice inside me says "Nah"

We were "snowed in" yesterday til late after lunch time. Wolfie came home early, but "luckily" (?) he needed to take his car to the shop. No way could he have gotten it up the driveway and into our garage anyway. The people at the repair shop drove him home and he made it thru the snow to the door without a fall. Good thing too as if he falls he cant get back up usually. Car is still in the garage today and he is home. I hope they find and fix whats wrong today as I hate lending my car to him and being without transportation. If something would happen to me there is no one I could call for help.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #974
Keruval
Super Poster

Tanje - I thought that was your 'location' situation. As you say, most of the time you are content with the social interaction at the stores etc, but sometimes think it would be nice to 'talk' a bit more with folks. I think the UK has more of a neighbourhood culture.

Today and the next few days we have heavy rain and high winds so we have lit the log fire, staying in and keeping warm.

I am knitting a 'winter' scarf for Chris' youngest daughter and she is coming over on Saturday so I am trying to finish it; it is a beautiful yarn, soft and pretty, but multi stranded and really difficut to work with, this is about the 3rd attempt from start but almost finished now.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:15 AM   #975
Moelisa

Och Tanje, good thing we have the internet and you have at least all your "online" friends. As Keruval said, not only UK but here in Germany as well we must be living way closer to each other, with more offers regarding clubs and other activities than in your area. Although with me living on the outskirts, there's no such thing as "walking distance" for me either for things like that, unless I count some stores (I can go shopping on foot, the shopping "centre" is about 3 km from me, so do-able if I don't buy anything heavy).
Keruval, good luck on the scarf, I am sure it will be beautiful once it's finished. Will we see a picture of the finished product please?

Old 11-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #976
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Back to "normal" today with Wolfie at work in his fixed car and me here, comfy and warm. Happiness.

Meh! they are saying another inch of snow for tomorrow, not happy at that as I do shopping on Thursday. Then friday I have a ENT doctor appointment. Not sure why I am going back to him yearly as my "earache" was fixed up with a nasal spray. All he does is clean my ears of earwax. I think he keeps hoping Ill ask for a hearing aid. Not yet I wont.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #977
Moelisa

Here the weather cannot decide whether heading back to summer or going into winter as it should one day temperatures in the two-digit range, the next close to freezing. I will not complain about the rain, as after the hot and dry summer, it's much needed. I wouldn't mind a light sprinkling of snow starting on Christmas Eve through to Boxing Day, not enough to cover the roads and make them slippery, just in the gardens, on trees and lawns etc.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #978
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

We are having colder than normal temps here now. Most of the snow had melted last week and then we had rain and ice. They melted most of that with salted roads and walkways etc. Now everything is just frozen solid. What was left of the slushy snow is piles of ice. YUK!

23 years today Wolfie and I have been married. Hard to believe. What are we doing to celebrate??? He will bring sub sandwiches for lunch......

Old 12-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #979
Keruval
Super Poster

Congrats Tanje and Wolfie, Chris and I have just passed the 1 year mark Our celebration was to buy steaks for dinner just because they looked good and not look at the cost - they were delicious.

Weather here is very changeable, just had several days of mainly rain but mild, now turning colder again. Our solar panels work great as soon as we get even broken cloud and we have managed to lodge the application for 'feed in tariff' with our supplier but today we were advised they have checked all the info is OK but it won't be processed finally until about Fwbruary. We don't mind as each time it is working it is saving us energy costs and we'll benefit eventually.

On Tuesday I had a dental disaster, thought at first it was just the temp filling/cover of a planned crown in the new year, but turned out to be total desteuction of a very old filling of a back molar. No emergency aapts available so eating very carefully and on at least low level painkillers until Monday. For this particular tooth it might be another crown or it might be sensible to just settle for an extraction as I think there is already a gap in the upper jaw above it. Been feeling decidedly 'off' these few days

Old 12-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #980
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Ugh Keruval, tooth problems are so miserable. My sympathy to you.
Since yesterday was our anniversary and tomorrow is my birthday I am refusing to cook. I will go out to pick up Chinese food today and tomorrow will order from a place that delivers. Of course I still have to "cook" our light suppers of hotdogs (ugh) and hamburgers that we have on the weekend.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #981
Moelisa

Congratulations on the anniversary,Tanje and Wolfie!

Awww Keruval good luck that the dentist can do something quickly and painlessly.

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #982
granath
Cool Poster

granath is on a distinguished road
Happy belated anniversary, Tanje and Wolfie!

I have something to celebrate, too. Went to my first ever Tai-Chi class today. Small steps, small steps.

I need to do something about my sore back...

granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:44 AM   #983
Moelisa

Oh great Granath, hopefully another Tai-Chi addict in the making there! Hope it helps your back.

Old Today, 04:40 PM   #984
Keruval
Super Poster

The dentist made another temporary cover/filling on my tooth and crown preparation appt for the end of January (the earliest he has a double appt space) Still having jawbone problems at/near the site of the implant and a crown immediately in front of it. Yes, dental problems are very wearing even if not giving 'agonising' pain that drives you to emergency treatment. The Poolyanna 'glad' thing is I have to admit it is still better to have most of my own teeth (with crowns) than dentures

Granath, I hope you enjoy the Tai Chi, I am now in my 5th year and find it has really helped my balance etc. Moelisa is the expert on here , I often wish she could visit with us.

We are into garden planning as we hope to grow most of our veg next year. We have quite a large lawn so are constructing some raised beds at the bottom edge of that. Need to go through all the seeds and decide what we need to buy. We have lots of flower seeds which may or may not grow but intend to use those as green manure plantings, just scattered sowing in the new beds.