Random Gallery Image

Recent Gallery Image

Go Back   Wolfegar Forums > General > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #61
Mausey
More Super Poster

Mausey is on a distinguished road
Like Tanje, I'm in a very large country and not all provinces did the same thing at the same time.

One of the biggest screw-ups was when we brought everybody home. Everybody had to get a temp and health check before they got on a plane. People were well spaced on the plane and as soon as they get off the plane … they all got crammed into a small area. Sort of messed up the entire social distance thing right there. It was suggested that people go home and self isolate but it wasn't really pushed until later.

Another huge problem, which they've sort of known about for years but ignored was the workers in seniors long term and care homes. Many of them wouldn't hire staff full time (that way they could avoid paying any benefits) so the staff would work 4-6 hours at one home and move to another for 4-6 hours then do some care in private homes. As a result our nursing/long term care homes got hit extremely hard. That is also because many of the workers are the wonderful ladies from the Philipeans whose husbands worked at the meat processing plants and have a couple families sharing a home. The meat workers are gar and away the ones with the most cases and it spread fast.

The national stockpile of goods for emergencies was allowed to expire and never replenished. That was on 2 Prime Ministers and for a change there is no finger pointing happening, yet.

We have a huge number of temporary workers that come in for the agriculture sector, not so much farming but green houses and the big commercial producers. Everybody knew we needed those workers but instead of having them self isolate at home, then bringing them in, they were brought in and then told to isolate. Problem is, most of the places they work do provide housing but it's barracks style and there is no way to isolate or keep the social distance rules. So more cases came in.

What I think we got right is closing the borders (better late than never in this case)and keeping them closed. We didn't have as strict a lock down as many places but it seems to be working for us, so far. While we don't have as much tracing as some countries we have been managing a decent amount of testing. Alberta with a population of 4.41 million has 1036 active cases, 65 in hospital, 9 in I.C.U. 128 deaths (average age 82) and have tested 199,132 people to date.

Another good is the Prime Minister does a live address every weekday morning, he gives us the news, numbers, what the government is doing etc. and then answers questions. So far it's been a remarkable display of Federal, Provincial and local all working together. Our Chief Medical Officer (every province has one) does a daily update and what I like is she doesn't give any absolutes but one, social distancing works!!! We know this as not one hospital was overwhelmed or even full.

We probably will never know the exact numbers as recent testing is showing people who had/have it and show no symptoms what so ever. What we may find out is what was done wrong, what was done right and if it was done at the right time.

Mausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:53 PM   #62
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Tanje is on a distinguished road
Well up until yesterday I didnt know anyone who was sick with Covid 19. Sadly I cant say that anymore. Talked with my cousin Roger yesterday and he told me his eldest daughter Jen was in the hospital with it. She is a pediatrician and has of course treated kids sick with it. So far she has a milder case so hoping she will be OK. Of course she had visited them before she fell sick so Roger and his wife are now both on strict quarantine. They have been making arrangements to go into a assisted living place so that is kinda on hold too. Keeping fingers crossed for all of them.

Tanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #63
Mary
Cool Super Poster

Mary is on a distinguished road
She must be pretty unwell to be in hospital Tanje, I hope she recovers quickly.

Playing Runescape since 24 April 2004. Member since 01 Aug 2004.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #64
Mausey
More Super Poster

Any updates Tanje? Our numbers are still dropping (in my part of the country) so things are still very cautiously opening. I have an appointment on Wed. to get my eyes checked and hopefully new glasses. I will need a mask as staying a proper distance just isn't possible.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #65
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Last I heard she was doing OK, on oxygen but not respirator. She has asthma so hope she will be OK. May call today to see if any news .
Things so crazy here in the USA with the protests and thousands of crowds out there in the major cities. So far no looting up here in Zion, but Waukegan got hit with looting the other day. Just wondering how all this will impact the spread of covid.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #66
Mary
Cool Super Poster

Mary is on a distinguished road
I have to go to the dentist tomorrow, first appointment since the pandemic. Not looking forward to it, but I think that I have cracked a filling, so need to get it seen. Our numbers are dropping way down, but I am not sure if we will ever see the end of the virus.

Playing Runescape since 24 April 2004. Member since 01 Aug 2004.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #67
Mausey
More Super Poster

I can see, over time, this virus becoming more like the flu. I'm confident there will be a vaccine and like the yearly flu jab, about 50% of the population will get it and we'll still have people who catch it and die. I really don't think it will ever truly go away however. There are several very nasty illnesses that seem to linger on, polio is one. Just when they think it's gone, up pops a couple cases.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #68
Victoria
Super Moderator

Victoria is on a distinguished road
Sitting quiet downunder, as far as I know the only new cases have been people returning to NZ and bringing it in with them. whether they've all been caught is doubtful, but so far the new cases are all with people coming back home. I hope we don't get another spread of it. I'm not too keen to go out among the general public any more.

Played since Feb 2004, member since May 2004
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #69
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
New Zealand has done really well. Very few cases got in initially and it was pretty much eradicated before people brought it back in with them, I think from the UK.

I get not wanting to go out, I really not keen on that currently either. I've not been to any of the reopened shops and have no plans to go to a pub or restaurant when they reopen on Saturday. Since government rules mean that we can only have very low numbers in school currently, I'm still working at home full time. We've been told that everyone will be in school full time from September, so I guess I'll have no choice but to return then, though I doubt it will feel safe.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #70
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

The whole Covid thing here is really insane. I guess "we" are reaping what we sowed with the younger people. So many of them just do not care if they get the virus or spread it. They were brought up to feel they are the only ones that matter and so will do as they please. The news media shows photos of crowded bars and beaches, no masks in site. I have no idea how this will all play out. Some states are halting the reopenings. Illinois has been very cautious in reopening things. Lakefront beaches and parks have been closed for weeks. I am going out only for necessary things, groceries and medical appointments. Still am very nervous about doing much else.