Random Gallery Image

Recent Gallery Image

Go Back   Wolfegar Forums > General > Games and Silly Stuff

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #991
Victoria
Super Moderator

Victoria is on a distinguished road
I had a nice time with my sister. She has a very good support group of friends, they all have dinner once a week and take turns hosting, so I arrange to be there for that night so I can join in. Two of them are sisters and we have known them since our teens so they are like family. I gather sister's first week in new apartment has been so busy and sociable she hasn't had a chance to be lonely, and she had family from Australia arriving after I left. She will do well, she's a sensible woman and not afraid to go out on her own, and uses the buses a lot (we seniors get free public transport out of business hours).

I was struck down on Monday by gout of all things!!! in my big toe joint where the arthritis is, they got on well and partied all swollen and red and excrutiatingly sore. I went to the doctor when I got home, and he has given me the appropriate pills to take. He said looking back at blood results I had a high level of uric acid, so I guess it's lucky it didn't come earlier. Bah humbug ... much better now though.

Played since Feb 2004, member since May 2004
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:17 AM   #992
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Tanje is on a distinguished road
Glad your gout is better Wiki, too much good eating??
As for me I have a peeling nose. Went to the Dermatologist and she froze it. I have AK on it (is a roughening from too many sunburns) Looks wonderful for Christmas.

Tanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #993
granath
Cool Poster

granath is on a distinguished road
Merry Christmas everyone! Mine's been good so far. In Scandinavia, Christmas Eve is the big day. Yesterday was great fun, we had Christmas dinner, or lunch really, at our house. It was pot luck, my parents brought the ham and the casseroles, my sister brought the fruit salad for dessert and we provided the entrees (mostly fish and roe). Yum. Now we have leftovers, so no need to cook for most of the week.

granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #994
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Sounds great Granath (except for the fish and roe) My family used to have a small meal on Christmas Eve, with all sorts of snacks and such later on. On the next day was the bigger meal, either Ham or Turkey with my cousins and Aunt and Uncle coming over. Now there's just me and Wolfie. I did make ham for the weekend and then yesterday and today we do have turkey (leftovers from Thanksgiving) When I was little we opened gifts on Christmas Day. Once I was older we did it on Christmas Eve.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #995
granath
Cool Poster

Great. Do you still exchange Christmas presents? We decided to skip gift-giving between adults this year, as our houses are already overflowing. Even our son got mostly clothes that he needed in any case and a couple of games for the PS4, and also a board game, Cluedo.

I haven't played Cluedo since my teens but it's fun, and Marcus has played it at after-school daycare. Schooldays here are short, for third-graders not longer than six hours, and as most parents work eight-hour days, daycare is necessary for children who need transportation. The vast majority of kids about ten and older who live within walking distance from school usually spend their afternoons at home either alone or with a friend, or at a friend's house. There are no dedicated school buses, although major cities and towns have good public transportation. Kids as young as seven are allowed to travel on public transport on their own. Marcus hasn't done that yet, but he's traveled a few stops by commuter train with a friend.

Here the culture is not to protect kids excessively, but to teach them the life skills they need early to handle unexpected occurrences, such as a bus being late or not coming at all. But this trend has also ensured that most kids get a cellphone when they start school. By age ten, almost every kid has a phone. Things have changed a bit since my childhood, when I started school 40 years ago, I got a wristwatch!

Old 12-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #996
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Wolfie and I dont do gifts anymore. Each of us has so much "stuff" there is little to our "want" list. We do buy small items (candy mostly) to fill the 2 stockings we have on the fireplace. I found small bottles of Baileys Irish Cream to wrap and put in the stocking. A very well appreciated gift indeed.

Today I made split pea soup from the bone left over from our ham. Ive taste tested it and it is sooooooo good. Wish I could share it with all of you.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #997
granath
Cool Poster

We do split pea soup here too, many people eat it on twelfth night and you're supposed to include the last of the Christmas ham in it...

Old 01-01-2019, 01:25 AM   #998
Mary
Cool Super Poster

Mary is on a distinguished road
I joined the local leisure center in October, I now go swim/walking in water every day. It is a perfect temperature and I walk up and down for an hour, front ways, side ways and backwards too sometimes. It is great and I enjoy it every day. Sometimes the girls come with me but I prefer if they come separately so they don't fight. They fight about everything. The only thing I dislike is the kids if I am stuck going when kids can go. Nothing against kids but I love the peace and quiet of the adult only hours.

Playing Runescape since 24 April 2004. Member since 01 Aug 2004.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #999
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Sounds lovely Mary and you really need an hour to yourself.

So who else slept thru the New Year celebrations? Yes we were in bed at our usual time. Me reading, him sleeping. I think I heard fireworks go off at midnight. Must have been a display somewhere but wasnt close by and not sure it woke me up. Probably was half awake at that time anyway.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #1000
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
We always stay up to midnight on New Years Eve. There are always very loud local fireworks that would be certain to jolt both of us awake if we did try to sleep sooner.

Going to the local pool daily sounds like an excellent thing to do, Mary.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #1001
Moelisa
Stalker of Wolves (Well one anyway.)

Moelisa is on a distinguished road
Sounds good Mary.
New Year: well I usually stay up until midnight, reading etc., so it's not a big difference. Mom valiantly tried to stay awake, lost the fight and I got her into her bed around 2300 hours. Only to be "fireworked" out of sleep at midnight, which left me with a very grumpy mother complaining about all that noise

Moelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #1002
Mary
Cool Super Poster

Fireworks are banned in Ireland but that does not stop a lot of people setting them off at midnight. Usually 5 mins and it is all over. We can hear the bangs but see nothing where our house is situated but he ho, that is life. Fire works are rare enough in Ireland.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #1003
Moelisa

Ania arrived last night, I let her sleep in this morning, but now she's in charge again, and I am back home. Shopping tomorrow, but then I won't see or talk to anyone for the next three days I still have off work

Old 01-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #1004
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Moelisa, you surely deserve days off and quiet for a while. You are a gem of a daughter.

Crazy weather here for January. Today is 20 degrees above normal (in the 50's) with rain rain and more rain. In January I expect snow (thank goodness it isnt!) and cold nasty temperatures, not spring temps and rain. Is this global warming???

Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 AM   #1005
Victoria
Super Moderator

i'm visiting with my daughter in Napier and it's extremely hot and no air conditioning. Phew. Had a good drive (four hours ) traffic wasn't too bad at all.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #1006
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Hope you will have a good visit Wiki, despite the hot weather.

In case any of you didnt know "change" invigorates me and revvs my engines. I apologize for any exuberance I may exhibit in the rest of the week til it wears off.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #1007
Moelisa

Enjoy your visit, Victoria.
Tanje, that's fine we still love you...

So back to work today, haven't even had time to have a coffee (having one and 5 minutes breathing time now!). I do love my job most of the time, but I don't like first days back at work after an extended period of absence. Oh well, at least it's Thursday, so only today and tomorrow to go through.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #1008
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Thank goodness you still like me! I know it's crazy. Most people hate change and I just love it. Used to rearrange the furniture every few weeks untill I married a man that hates change. If I had the money Id buy a new house and move every few years.

Winter is finally trying to make a comeback here. A few days ago we had 50 degree temps and today we have 16 degrees with snow predicted for the weekend. Crazy Midwestern weather.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 AM   #1009
Victoria
Super Moderator

Back home now, I drove home without a stop (4 hours) and I'm knackered. And it's very very hot. It was lovely to spend time with my daughter, but her partner becomes a bit overpowering and is exhausting. He loves having a new set of ears, so it's just as well he went to work during the day .

Old 01-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #1010
Moelisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanje View Post
Thank goodness you still like me! I know it's crazy. Most people hate change and I just love it. Used to rearrange the furniture every few weeks untill I married a man that hates change. If I had the money Id buy a new house and move every few years.

Winter is finally trying to make a comeback here. A few days ago we had 50 degree temps and today we have 16 degrees with snow predicted for the weekend. Crazy Midwestern weather.
Not change as such I don't like, this particular one - think it was too much in one go, with too many new and varied things to get into your head at once :shrugs: Anything new in the office, and I am all for it; or - as I have learnt with Mom over the years, any changes to the negative, rant for a day to get it out of your system, then embrace the change and make it your own: if you can't change it, adapt to it.

Victoria, good your're back safely. People like your daughter's partner, did he talk your ear off?

Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #1011
Victoria
Super Moderator

Daughter's partner did indeed talk my ear off, he monopolizes conversations. At least he's not stupid and his opinions are usually worth something, but it was nice he went to work during the day and daughter and I had good time together. She works from home, so arranged her work around the visit (and while she worked I went on my laptop )

Old 01-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #1012
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Sounds like you had a nice visit Wiki.

Still waiting on that snow. Looks like the big part of it will be in Chicago and south of there. Up here north of Chicago we will get about an inch they say. Meh!

Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #1013
Mary
Cool Super Poster

I am not a big fan of change, but if I say it out loud it seems to dissipate my crankiness.

The weather here in Ireland is unseasonably mild. While southern Europe are having snow, some places meters of snow, we are having flowers bloom, grass grow and all sorts of good stuff. It is supposed to get colder next week.

My oldest Niamh, got some cheap airflights to Barcelona, and went with 2 friends for 2 nights. The energy of youth, they took the bus to the airport at 1 am for a 6 am flight, then parties until about 5 am in Barcelona. After 5 hours sleep they went sight seeing and then paritied until goodness knows what time and after 45 minutes sleep left for the airport and back home to Ireland. Even if I had gotten the same flights it would have cost me so much more, I would have stayed near the airport the night before and stayed in nice accommodation in Spain, and not partied all night.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #1014
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Glad Niamh had a good time and got home safely. Youngsters dont think of the danger that it seems always dwells on my mind that such activities might bring. I know I sure didnt when I was young. I remember when I was younger all the things I did at crazy hours. Didnt need sleep much back then when fun was calling. Even when I was older I remember long nites in Chicago with friends and driving home at 6 AM to finally sleep. Cant do that now. I am in bed at 8 PM reading and asleep at 10.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #1015
Moelisa

When you're young, you're invincible I remember my university time, not even partying, but working together for essays and presentations until the early morning, pizza at 2 am, crashing on the floor with a sleeping bag, and sitting in the lecture room in time for the 8 am lessons Nowadays......

Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #1016
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

LOL yes I remember going to science fiction cons and up all nite there. Once I went out to a bar in Chicago with a 6 foot werewolf (not Wolfie!) on a leash at 3 AM. Yes I even knew werewolves pre Wolfie. (was in with a costuming group at the time)

We are white here and got a bit more snow than they predicted. Maybe 3 inches as we got plowed out and they dont plow unless we get 3 inches of snow. Not sure if it will last as the temps are just a bit below freezing, so the dark driveways and streets will melt a lot of the stuff that drifted there if we get some sun. It probably will stay longer on the lawns tho.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:10 AM   #1017
granath
Cool Poster

Back to taichi this week! Good session yesterday. Today I'm fine, but tomorrow I'll be sore...

We have enough snow that it looks like winter, and I'm glad.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM   #1018
Moelisa

Actually, I don't mind snow if it just contains itself to look pretty, like on rooftops, lawns, trees etc. and keeps off the roads and pavements
The days are getting longer again (not that you'd really notice with the grey in grey weather we're having), not so much noticeable in the mornings, but definitely in the evenings - when I leave the office after work, it's not as pitch dark as it was last month, and now it is in the "getting dark" stage. Not a lot of a change, but I do notice, and I do take pleasure in stuff like that

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #1019
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Oh me too Moelisa, I do so dislike the long dark days that winter brings. So far we have had a relatively easy winter but am thinking we will get hit soon. It been too warm and not much snow or cold. January and February are the worst months of winter usually and we still have a lot of that to go. We did get snow last weekend, a few inches. This weekend it is expected again and I think they said it would be more..... sigh!