Wolfegar Forums
Random Gallery Image

Recent Gallery Image

Go Back   Wolfegar Forums > General > Movie, Television, Book and other Entertainment Discussions

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
Summer / winter reading bingo

The literacy co-ordinator in my school has set both staff and students a summer reading challenge. The staff one is a bingo grid with 12 boxes. We get to fill in as many boxes as we can and return it on the first day of the autumn term. Any box filled in gains a raffle ticket, but I have no idea what the prize(s) are. Since I know a lot of people who post here love reading, I wondered if anyone else would like to join in with me. I know not everyone here is in summer, hence putting it as summer / winter in the title. My summer holiday starts now (we broke up this afternoon) and we go back to school on Monday 2nd September, so that is when our cards get handed in.

The 12 categories are:
1. A book written for teens or young adults
2. A book with a name of a person as the title
3. A picture book or graphic novel
4. A book set in or linked to a place you will visit this summer (or winter for this site)
5. A book with magic
6. A book with the name of a chemical element in it
7. A book set in a time of war
8. A book written by someone with a different ethnicity to yours
9. A book that has been lent to you (this can include from a library as well as from family / friends)
10. A book with a date in the title
11. A book that you first read before you were 18
12. A book written by a professional in their field (e.g. education, medicine, sports)

I know there are some boxes I could fill many times over and others I am unlikely to fill in the next 6 weeks. It only occurred to me after I got home that I should have asked if one book can be used in more than one box or if that is cheating. I've emailed to ask, but have no idea when I may get a reply.

I'm hoping at least 1 or 2 of you may wish to join me over the next 6 weeks to see how many of those 12 categories you can read a book from. Please share what you read in the hope it may inspire others.

Edit: She got back to me already - 12 different books are needed to complete all 12 categories, using the same book for 2 or more boxes is cheating. However she said it isn't going to be overly strict so ' A book with a name of a person as the title' could be something like 'Emma' or Jane Eyre' but it could just be a name as part of the title like 'Alice in Wonderland'. The aim is to encourage a range of reading.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007

Last edited by Cosmic Dancer; 07-20-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: I got a reply to my email query :)
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Keruval
Super Poster

Keruval is on a distinguished road
Are you expected to read a book in each category this summer, or to fill in the boxes from past experience?

Keruval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

To fill the grid you need to read one book per box across the 6 weeks. I've decided to count the book I finished this morning, even though I started it a couple of weeks back. I have ideas for all now except the book set in or linked to the location I'm going to on holiday. I knew my in-laws had some books from the area we are visiting, but sadly they've got rid of them. I may find myself buying a small, cheap book while there as that would work.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Mausey
More Super Poster

Mausey is on a distinguished road
Oh. I do wish I had been paying more attention and gotten in on this. I read one book that could have gone in 1 of 6 different boxes.

Mausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

There is no reason why you can't try this now if you want to, Mausey.

I managed to read 12 different books that filled the 12 different boxes within the 6 weeks. Apparently I was the only member of staff who did that. I won a pair of pretty notebooks in the raffle that followed.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Mausey
More Super Poster

Mausey is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking about writing down the catagories and using them to make my next library picks. That is after I finish the 6 books I currently have on my to read shelf.

Mausey is offline   Reply With Quote