Random Gallery Image

Recent Gallery Image

Go Back   Wolfegar Forums > General > Games and Silly Stuff

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #1051
Mary
Cool Super Poster

Mary is on a distinguished road
Oh gosh Tanje sounds horrible, so much clearing up. I thought the sump pump looked after it all but we don't have basements here in Ireland (I would love one) so I not sure what happened to yours.

Playing Runescape since 24 April 2004. Member since 01 Aug 2004.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #1052
Moelisa
Stalker of Wolves (Well one anyway.)

Moelisa is on a distinguished road
That will be a lot of dirty and wet work, Tanje, so sorry to hear that. Hope you and Wolfie will get this sorted out soon, and that you can find and fix whatever caused it.

Mary, I love the sport as such, and the water gymnastic is great; the exercises so far have been really simple things, like standing in the water (neck deep and awfully warm), raise your leg up front with bent knee, and clap your hands under the bent knee in front of you - all this of course under the water and against the water resistance. It's fun. Actually, I find both sports could be very addictive.

Moelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #1053
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Tanje is on a distinguished road
Weekend spent cleaning out basement stuff that was damaged by water. Wolfie is home today and will be tomorrow to continue the task. Neither of us is really physically able to do this sort of thing but we have no choice. Plumber called just awhile ago and is coming sometime later today to see. What do I think it is? A blockage somewhere in the drainage tiles that funnel water into the sump pit. Cause? Ill bet its either ice or roots from the shrubs I planted years ago. Will see what the plumber says and Ill let you know. In any case I am NOT replacing the carpeting. Not sure what Ill do for the flooring down there. Perhaps Ill just have it painted and use scatter rugs. In any case floor storage is not gonna happen here again.

Tanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #1054
Victoria
Super Moderator

Victoria is on a distinguished road
What an awful job Tanje, and I suppose it smells awful too I hope they can find the cause and get it sorted.

Played since Feb 2004, member since May 2004
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #1055
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
I am so sorry to hear about this, Ntaje. If there are concrete floors underneath just painting them and adding rugs could work well. I know over here some people have polished concrete floors, but I think they are laid with that in mind. Putting rugs over it which can be thoroughly washed if needed then makes good sense. I'm not sure I'd ever have considered on the floor storage a good idea in a basement.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new exercises, Moelisa.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #1056
Moelisa

Hope they find what's wrong very soon, Tanje, and get it sorted quickly, and not too costly for you. Roots and pipes don't go well together, I remember when I worked in the JHQ, the ladies toilets there were blocked at least once a month because the roots of the trees blocked the pipes. We had to live with that for years until some budget manager finally granted finance for the pipes to be replaced!
Cosmic Dancer, yes, I do enjoy the exercises - I find sport of this kind very addictive. Yesterday, we did trampoline exercises, that was fun. What I really like is that the instructor gives you the choice of easy, medium and really hard, at least she did for the last two lessons. The exercises before were fun, but not really a challenge for me due to my regular Tai Chi, in respect of "feeling" the stretching, or working on balance.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #1057
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Well it seems finding the cause of this may be more of a problem. Of course the plumber found that we did need the battery replaced on the backup pump in case electricity goes out. Since the other pump was over 5 years old we are getting that replaced as well. Of course we had a snowstorm last night and the idiots plowed the driveway at quarter to 4AM before the storm was done so now we need to get the drive plowed again. Had a horrible night last night with only 3 hours sleep. My brain was working overtime when I woke up at midnight and wouldnt quit. Feel like crap this morning. Not happy.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #1058
Moelisa

couldn't have happened at a worse time, Tanje. Hope this gets sorted soon.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #1059
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Feeling better rested today (slept 9-5) and waiting on the plumbers who couldnt make it yesterday, thanks snow storm. I had to shovel the drifts this morning. Didnt need that. They are supposed to come today so I am looking for a clean out service for that carpeting... Wolfie went to work today. Not sure if he will stay the full day or what as he still has a lot of stuff to deal with downstairs. He is very slow.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #1060
Mary
Cool Super Poster

Gosh it sounds unending Tanje, bet both you and Wolfie can do without it all.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #1061
Moelisa

We haven't seen Tanje on here for over 10 days now - I hope everything is alright with her and Wolfie?

Old 02-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #1062
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

I share Moelisa's concern. Tanje disappearing from online life for so long is not normal, so I really hope her and Wolfie are ok. Sending them hugs in case they need them.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #1063
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

So so sorry I couldnt get on to tell you all what was happening with us and our water problems. On the 16th we had the carpet ripping guys over and as they were working (making a godawfulwetmess) the internet went out. After checking we found it was an area outage problem. Well next day still no internet. Calling again it was fixed but ours was out.. Monday (holiday) wolfie was getting nervous and called again trying to get internet help to see if he could fix it somehow. We were just starting a snowstorm but he went out to exchange our gateway/router/modem for a newer one at the "store" (no charge) Sadly he couldnt get internet with the new one and the best appointment he could get for someone to come out was friday the 22nd In between then we had an ice storm, my cell phone wouoldnt charge, we had the furnace cleaned the carpet rippers came to finish the job and I want crazy with no internet. Finally today (22nd) the guys came to pick up the multitude of blowers that were drying out our basement and the internet guy came and exchanged the new gateway/router/modem for another as it was broken. He found we needed a new buried cable line to the outside "box" but that will be done at a later date. so now we have a carpetless basement and a back storage room full of "stuff'. We assume the water is coming from the foundation walls but not even messing with that until next week. All this is too stressful and expensive as insurance doesnt cover seepage...swell!

Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #1064
Keruval
Super Poster

Keruval is on a distinguished road
When I saw Moelisa's post I wondered if it was something to do with the water damage in the basement, wires are really sensitive to that; but it seems you had a number of maybe unrelated problems all arrive together.
Hope they are getting sorted out now.
We are all so dependent on the internet now, if it goes out we are lost and the bad weather meant you couldn't even get out to a library or coffee shop with wifi.
Not sure what you can do about the water seepage, think here we would be looking at a 'impervious' paint barrier but that depends on the severity.
never go amiss.

Keruval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #1065
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

From what I understand they will need to tear out the wall and find the cracks. Then they drill a small hole and use some sort of pressure thingy to inject a polymer into the concrete where it fills in where the water would seep in. The worst was in the computer room which we couldnt see because all the stuff in there. The carpet pad pulled the water in but it wasnt visible with the carpet covering it. As we didnt walk much in the computer room it wasnt noticed until it spread into the main room and out beyond the shelf and chair etc that we had there along the wall.
In any case I am taking a break from all this and will be enjoying the internet and Runescape this weekend. Hopefully we wont get too much seepage there over the two days. Ill call either Permaseal or U.S. Waterproofing Monday to come out for estimate. Good thing I saved money all these years.....

Old 02-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #1066
Moelisa

What a lot of things in one go, one would hope that once everything is sorted, that this would be your share of nasty events happening for this year!
Glad to see you back.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #1067
Victoria
Super Moderator

Victoria is on a distinguished road
what a dreadful time of it, poor Tanje and WolfeBro. What did you do with yourself instead of Rs?

Played since Feb 2004, member since May 2004
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #1068
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Well today we are worrying about the wind and praying it wont rip off shingles or siding. Oh yeah and knock out something to make us lose electricity. There's already over a thousand people to the southwest of us that have lost power from the bad winds. Fingers crossed.
As to the leaky basement, we are containing the leak by putting old towels on the floor to catch the wet and keep it from spreading too much. Of course every few hours they need to be taken up, rewashed and dried and replaced with fresh ones. It seems to be originating from a spot in the computer room and if it isnt soaked up it spreads into the TV room. Needless to say it is tiresome.
Wiki wants to know what did I do without internet? Well after I exhausted myself moving stuff from one room to another downstairs (we have hundreds of square feet of boxes and stuff now all crammed into the back furnace room), I played on my Nintendo DS or played on my old Apple Ibook. Plus I have over 100 paperback books waiting to be read. I also did some cleaning and going thru my clothes to give away stuff. Sadly Wolfie wont give anything away or get rid of old things, so my efforts barely dent our combined "stuff".

Old 02-25-2019, 04:57 AM   #1069
granath
Cool Poster

granath is on a distinguished road
Ouch! My thoughts are with you and I hope that things get better for you soon and you get the house fixed.

granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #1070
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Power stayed on and hopefully the house stayed together. Too much snow out back to go out there and look but I dont see any bits of shingle or siding anywhere so am hoping the house is ok. The wind was awful and makes a growling/rumbling sound as it gets up under the eaves and rattles the siding. I really hate the strong windstorms.

Basement will be looked at on wednesday. Until then we are staying dry with several old towels stuffed at the leaking wall base and fans blowing on it. With the rain yesterday I had to change the towels several times, but is dry today so anticipate only one change. So the washer dryer is getting a workout and I am praying that wont break down as well....Fates, please have mercy on me! Busy with trying to clean the floor down there which is marked with glue and bits of foam carpet padding. Was NOT impressed with the company we had do the removal as they left an godawful mess. Then we have an unbelievable amount of "stuff" to return to someplace. Most of it is Wolfies......

Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #1071
Mary
Cool Super Poster

It sounds just awful Tanje. And all that stuff, so hard to cope with. Hoping for a early spring for you.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:13 AM   #1072
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

US Waterproofing came out, foundation is cracked so we set up a date for them to come and fix it. March 12 and they can fix it from the outside. Yay If it works we are set, if not they will have to return and fix from the inside,
meaning walls will get torn out. Yuk

Old 02-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #1073
Mary
Cool Super Poster

So hoping no more rain or snow for the next two weeks. I really hope it gets sorted.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #1074
Moelisa

Last week of carnival here (thanks God!), and just in time for all the parades the real fans prepare for for over a year, the weather decided to give us all seasons in one day, including a major storm, so that the towns had to decide whether to let the parade and the floats go. The worst of the storm blew over by lunchtime, and the major towns here decided to let the parades go as planned, just start later, and because of the wind, no horses or really high float builds. I may not like our "fifth season", but I do feel sorry for those involved in a year of preparation and hard work, just for this days.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #1075
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Was thinking about you Moelisa when I realized it was Mardi Gras/Carnival season. Here, aside from in New Orleans we dont celebrate it much so no parades or noise. I think its way too cold for all that stuff up by us at this time of the year. Well it sure is this year. We are breaking cold records for the beginning of March. No one wants to be outside in the snow and minus temps for a parade in that. Yes we still have about a foot of snow on the grassy areas and got a sprinkling more this morning. Can not wait until this is over!!! It is supposed to get up to upper 40's for the weekend so we will be dealing with our leak again I guess. The super cold temps kept it from doing much this past week. It gets fixed next week thank goodness. Ive been spending a few hours each morning trying to get the basement back to semi normal. No carpets, just an ugly grey stained concrete floor. I will cover most of it later with scatter rugs. This has been too much work and too much expense.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #1076
Mary
Cool Super Poster

A painted concrete floor can be pretty nice Janet. We have one in work in a nice grey paint specifically for concrete. A bit industrial but with rugs etc can be good.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #1077
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Mary, too much work and expense to do anything more to the basement floor, plus we would have to move all the stuff, and there is a LOT of it. The edges of the floor are marred and pitted in places from the tack strips and nails used to hold the carpet. In other places the tack strips are still in place. I tried pulling them up and just dont have the strength and time to do it. I dont want to spend more money on this as I am only down here on the weekend, We dont entertain or have friends down here (we have no friends) so only Wolfie is the other person who sees this. I have given up on having a "nice" house anymore. .

Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #1078
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

OK so wet basement report....Guy came on the 12th and fixed the crack that was visible from the outside. (Presumed crack that was making the wet.) Every day since we have had water coming in. By water I mean enough wet that I have to do 3 loads of sopping wet towels (6 or so carried in a bucket to the washer) a day to keep the lake from forming in the basement. Called once (day after fix) and was told to "give it a day to settle" Odd as the fixer guy said it would not leak after the fix. So today I called the guy who did the first work of determining the location of crack. He is coming at around 2 to cut parts out of the walls to see where the problem is. I am betting it is in the computer room where I thought it was in the first place.....

Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #1079
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

I'm so sorry to hear of this continuing saga, Tanje. I really hope that they are able to sort this very soon.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #1080
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

I was so right, the evil crack that was wetting our floor was in the corner of the computer room. Our guy came and cut a hole where we said and there it was. A second hole was cut higher and the top of the crack was found. So now we wait for the fixers and repairman. Earliest date was April 8th but he put us on "standby" in case someone ahead of us cancels. Hopefully we wont have too many rainstorms between now and then. The snow around the house is all melted. There is one pile down at the roadside by the driveway but that is way far away and drains into the storm sewer. I will be so glad to get this all over with.