Wolfegar Forums
Random Gallery Image

Recent Gallery Image

Go Back   Wolfegar Forums > General > Movie, Television, Book and other Entertainment Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Lily
Super Poster

Lily is on a distinguished road
Pokemon

OK, I'm starting a thread about something I know nothing about in the hope of some education

WHAT IS THIS NEW POKEMON CRAZE ALL ABOUT ?????

Being as technically innocent as I am it's all a mystery to me.

Mind you, it's fun being able to take a pic of something and immediately post it for others to see but I have to forego that. Can't have everything!

...............................(sits back and waits for enlightenment......)

"The gaze of the wolf reaches into our soul."
-Barry Lopez
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Moelisa
Stalker of Wolves (Well one anyway.)

Moelisa is on a distinguished road
... joins Lily and brings popcorn.....

I thiiiiink it's an app that gives you pics of pokemons in certain areas, houses, parks whatever, which you have to recognise and go there to find that pokemon. How you find it and what you do if you find it, I haven't got a clue

Moelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Victoria
Super Moderator

Victoria is on a distinguished road
I believe it works with Google Maps and shows you the map of the area you are in and where or if there are any critters :dunno:

Played since Feb 2004, member since May 2004
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:53 AM   #4
Lily
Super Poster

There's a map on our local city council's site showing where they can be found!!!!!

I suspect this is a passing craze though

-Barry Lopez
Old 07-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #5
Moelisa

he he I agree, Lily, it only came to Germany a couple of days ago, and I am already rolling my eyes. At least it gets the geeky kids out into the fresh air huh?

Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
Mayhem
First Strykewyrm Slayer Assignment

Mayhem is on a distinguished road
Geeky adults too I've walked nearly 12km since the game came out in England

You basically walk about with the app open. It picks up your gps location from google maps and then translates this to movement in the game. As you walk, pokemon spawn, which you can find, start a battle with, and catch using your screen

You gan go to areas called pokestops (usually at monuments or art installations) to get free pokeballs/potions/pokemon eggs etc. You need to walk either 2k, 5k or 10k to hatch an egg (hence all the exercise) and it has been wonderful here, watching people get out and be social. I saw more people in our park on Sunday than I have ever seen before.

Long may it continue!

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Josh

Josh is on a distinguished road
Pokemon Essay... TBC maybe?

Okay, lets give it a go...

(not everything will be explained well, haven't played it yet but know some stuff from hearing about it a lot)

So, Pokemon Go is a new Augmented Reality mobile game based on the games and show that have been running and popular for many years. This game uses both the maps from your location settings and it uses information from a previous app of the same style called "Ingress". (If you aren't sure, this means that you are moving around looking at the phone to see the pokemon appearing "in the world" through your phone, much more real like than the other games could ever be)

The goal of the game is to catch them all (the pokemon that is), there are different things that can be used in the game to help catch them.

There are things called PokeStops which are places that players can visit (all of this requires going there in the real world to match map locations), they give extra pokeballs and stuff like that which help players continue through the game.

There are also lures in the game which attract pokemon to them, meaning you can make the pokemon run to you, not the other way around!

Hmm what else...

Ah yes, there are also different types of pokemon e.g. fire, water, ground etc which can be found in places that are relevant for the types of pokemon, such as finding water pokemon in the middle of lakes (people have used kayaks to reach some PokeStops and pokemon )

Most of the game for now is about collecting and the social side of it all, but for now you can't trade pokemon (soon though!) and there are also gyms in the game which can be claimed by players that are in one of the three teams. (Instinct, Mystic and Valor) Claiming the gyms gives players more experience towards their levels and gives the game a competitive feel if you are one of those fighting for gyms.

There are also other little features about how the fighting works etc, but i dont know enough to explain it all and it isn't really important enough anyway. The game looks amazing and i can't wait to start!

Oh the one big drawback, it kills battery life.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
Ok, I have a question, what is a pokeball and why are they a good thing to have?

I've heard students complain about being out of data due to Pokemon. I get the feeling that people on limited data each month are getting rather frustrated as they want to play more, but can't.

The exercise and social side of the game does sound like possible significant benefits. Whoever put this together did a really good job I think.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Mayhem

Pokeballs are the little devices used to catch pokemon. I like to think they are somewhat like the Tardis, bigger on the inside, as they are really rather small!

Data is a huge issue, which can be somewhat lessened by downloading area maps to your phone so it doesn't have to load them also.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Tanje is on a distinguished road
This game is soo cool sounding makes me with I was, younger, more fit, brave and a bunch of other things. Oh yes, wish I had a smart phone to play it on.

Tanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #11
Josh

The data is supposed to be quite good actually, but i think it depends on a few factors. and the pokemon actually shrink down i think so that they can fit in the pokeballs, so the space is how it appears (plus the pokeballs themselves also shrink when being put into a backpack, but that's the show of course...)
Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
Lily
Super Poster

Well that's all very interesting thank you Josh.

Maybe I'm less biased now!!!

BUT: I just hope it doesn't start a rash of accidents with people not attending to their physical surroundings!!!

The gym I go to is one of the "spots". I wonder if they know???

-Barry Lopez
Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #13
Josh

Yea, they probably know, some businesses have been using the fact that they have pokemon in the building as advertisement, or some have dropped the lures at the businesses to get people inside (mostly pubs)
Old 07-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #14
Moelisa

Thanks Josh and Mayhem. Now don't forget I am blond: I still do not understand WHERE you see the pokemons you catch, and HOW you catch them. Will they appear on your screen when you reach the correct spot, and do you take a picture then, or what?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #15
Lily
Super Poster

Well that's what I think will happen Moelisa
I was rather hoping they were things actually in place and you had to take a pic of them or something!
Saw a chappie busy manipulating two mobile gadgets this morning. I asked him if he was Pokemoning But he wasn't.

-Barry Lopez
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
Mayhem

That's basically it Moelisa. I've got a couple of screen grabs, I'll get some more later to show more. You have a map like the first pic, with your character and a pokeradar to the right. The second pic shows the pokeradar open. Each pawprint shows a 50m distance (though there is a glitch at the moment where the distance doesn't go down so there's a lot of lucky catches at the moment.)

Depending on closeness, each pokemon is placed differently. In the second gra you can see that the closest pokemon is an Eevee and the furthest is a Pidgey. The positions will change as you walk telling you which is closest, if I walk towards Eevee and I get closer, the pawprints should drop to 2, then 1. If I walk away from Eevee, the position of the icon will drop to second, then third, etc.

When you get close enough, that little icon will pop up on the map and you press on it to open a capture screen. You use your finger in a flicking motion on the pokeball icon at the bottom of the screen (picture 3) to throw the ball at a pokemon in the hope it hits and catches it. On higher level pokemon, you can throw a Razz berry (gained from pokestops) at it to make it less likely to flee. You can use the game with camera active (battery drainer) or turn off the camera and have the pokemon appear on a backdrop from the map (green trees etc)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pgo1.jpg (63.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pgo2.jpg (37.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg pgo3.jpg (62.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Mayhem; 07-20-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #17
Woollymouse
More Super Poster

Woollymouse is on a distinguished road
Alternatively you can do what I do and wait for the pokemon to come to you. Exercise is evil, exercise and catching pokemon is doubly evil.

Woollymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #18
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Ok, so pokeballs are needed to capture pokemon, so without those you can't hunt. I'm guessing they have to be pretty easy to get though as the manufacturers want you to be able to catch loads without too much fuss.

How close do you have to get to the pokemon to be able to catch it? Mayhem talked about a pawprint as being 50m, so I'm guessing less than 50m, but the image with Ruby and the purple rat thing makes it look like you are virtually on top of it prior to catching. Also do they seem to know you are there before you try and catch them, or are they generally oblivious until then?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #19
Mayhem

They dont' show up til the pawprint disappears, so definitely within the 50m, but when they show up on the map they can be a bit away from you and appear closer as you catch them. I grabbed a screen shot of a pokemon on the map before I caught it, so of course, my phone is now dead so I can't upload it!

I think, as far as it goes, they are more or less unaware of you, tho if you ise incense to attract them, sometimes they attack you when they appear!

Steve, Beth and me went out this evening in the cooler air to release a lure and lie on the crass in front of the war memorial. We caught a few pokemon, Beth and me got a level and Steve complained cos his tablet kept crashing. Poor boy needs a phone that works and he just spent all his money on games just before the pokemon go release, so he can't have a phone now! People kept glaring at us, but I can't help but think that the servicemen who died and ended up memoralised (One of whom named on the plaque was Steve's grandad Jack's brother) would have somewhat enjoyed seeing people sitting about on a patch of ground commemorating their sacrifices.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #20
Josh

The footprint system has 3 levels to show which are the closest, but for now their is a bug (i hope it's that anyway) which puts all pokemon to a 3 footprint level which means it has no help for now.

Played today for the first time, fun but walking in the sun for over an hour wasn't so fun, too hot for this game right now

The pokeballs are very easy to come by, you can get them by catching pokemon, visiting pokestops and levelling up. There are also these eggs you get that can hatch after a set distance walked. think it's 2,5 and 10km eggs, but i think they only give pokemon and no extra resources.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #21
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

When you talk about levelling, is that you in some way or one or more of the pokemon you catch? I think there are over 100 different types to catch. Can you only catch each type once? Also where do the eggs come from? So very full of questions!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #22
Lily
Super Poster

What are the rewards for all this effort anyway?

Apart from the benefits of fresh air and exercise ?
(presumably)

-Barry Lopez
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #23
Mayhem

Levelling is done via xp gain which you can get from catching pokemon, evolving them, hatching eggs and from pokestops. You get 600xp for the first pokemon of each kind caught, then 100 for each thereafter. You can catch as many as you like, i fact you eed to catch them to trade them for candies which you use to evolve and level up pokemon! Eggs are gained via pokestops, I got two more tonight on the way to sewing group!

The reward is you catch em all and get out and about (and develop leg muscles like you wouldn't believe!)!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #24
Lily
Super Poster

So there is an end?

What happens when you catch them all?
Cos, I can't believe you get sick of it!
Somehow, you don't

-Barry Lopez
Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #25
Mayhem

When you catch em all, that's the end. There is just playing on and levelling up I'd assume! They are adding more pokemon towards the end of August tho,there are a lot of games to go through heh

Old 07-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #26
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Tanje is on a distinguished road
I never cared for most of the pokemon after the first few games. They seemed to get unreal, kinda like the stupid looking boss monsters in runescape. The ones that looked like little animals or monsters were my favorites.

Tanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #27
Mayhem

They did get a bit out there, flipping trash bag pokemon and ice cream cones...

Old 07-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #28
Josh

Ye the new pokemon are a bit ridiculous, seemed like they got desperate but hopefully they'll only be added after many many updates. Still need to go through quite a few games worth of pokemon before we reach them.

And the best way to get xp is either catch lots of new pokemon or to catch lots of common pokemon and evolve them for 500xp each. There's also a lucky egg you get at level 9, it gives double xp for 30 minutes so combining that with a lure to catch more pokemon will help a lot. Plus save evolutions after level 9 until you use the lucky egg and you'll get a lot more xp.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #29
Moelisa

Do we have a "tongue-in-cheek" or "snickering-behind-the-hand" smilie here?Just love the way you two are so involved into this. Some actions you describe still go way over my head, but it sounds as if you both have fun!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #30
Josh

Yea it's a fun game, but would be much better if I actually knew people near me that play it >_< Nearest person is still a train journey away! Not doing that every few days.
For now I'm just playing it whilst listening to stuff on spotify, just a bit more battery drain is all. Fun nonetheless!