Wolfegar Forums
Random Gallery Image

Recent Gallery Image

Go Back   Wolfegar Forums > General > Movie, Television, Book and other Entertainment Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
granath
Cool Poster

granath is on a distinguished road
Discussion: Reality shows

This thread is to discuss reality shows, their appeal (or not as the case may be).

1. Do you like reality shows? Why, why not?

2. Are there any particular kinds of shows that you watch, or shows that you absolutely don't watch?

3. What's your favorite reality show?

I'll post my own answers to these questions once this thread has a few responses.

granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Kugai
Cool Poster

Kugai is on a distinguished road
If you mean by reality shows shows like Survivor, Fear Factor and their ilk, then no, I don't like those shows. To me, shows like that are at the 'Flogging a Dead Horse' stage, and are just symptomatic of the dumbing down of television.

I do watch a certain type of reality show, things like Road Wars, Cops With Cameras and shows like that because I like the fact they deal with real subjects.

I'm also a History Channel junkie

JAMES THE KUGAI

You can NEVER have too much Coffee
Homepage
Free Babylon 5
Free Babylon 5 Webpage
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Mary
Cool Super Poster

Mary is on a distinguished road
I think reality shows have had their day. Ones like Big brother which were new and interesting 10 years ago are now past it and are more cringe making than anything else. I still like shows such as Britian Got Talent but I am not a big TV watcher.

Playing Runescape since 24 April 2004. Member since 01 Aug 2004.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Wolfegar
The Wonderful Wizard, Wolfegar, The Werewolf

Wolfegar will become famous soon enoughWolfegar will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
This thread is to discuss reality shows, their appeal (or not as the case may be).

2. Are there any particular kinds of shows that you watch, or shows that you absolutely don't watch?

I'll post my own answers to these questions once this thread has a few responses.
I like some reality shows. I don't tend to watch talent shows although we're currently watching one from Britain that is from 2008. But since we don't know who won, (and we don't want to be told), I'm not sure I should mention the title.

Anyway, the shows I like are:

Survivor
Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters International (They are listed as paranormal and reality.)
The Amazing Race
The Mole (When it used to be on.)
Big Brother

Survivor, GH and GHI are my favorites.

Wolfegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
granath
Cool Poster

granath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugai View Post
If you mean by reality shows shows like Survivor, Fear Factor and their ilk, then no, I don't like those shows. To me, shows like that are at the 'Flogging a Dead Horse' stage, and are just symptomatic of the dumbing down of television.

I do watch a certain type of reality show, things like Road Wars, Cops With Cameras and shows like that because I like the fact they deal with real subjects.

I'm also a History Channel junkie
This. I don't like the Survivor type shows either, because I think they're an exercise in public humiliation. I simply don't understand the sort of personality who would voluntarily sign up for it, in my book they're borderline insane.

I do like reality shows where they try to help people, such as Super Nanny. I may not always agree with all of her methods, but she does get results. And it's refreshing to know that things could be a lot worse.

I also like shows where they show different professions, cops on the beat or emergency services at work. An old favorite from the US was Emergency 911, a far older show than the first Survivor.

I don't count documentaries as reality TV, since they require that you use your brains! I love nature and history documentaries, especially if they're good quality. I tend to prefer British documentaries to American ones, because the latter are more dumbed down and have endless repeats. A 42 minute American documentary might actually have less than 25 minutes of film in it, the rest is all recaps and precaps (trailers of what's coming after the next commercial break).

granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Tanje
Wife of the Admin

Tanje is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1-I do like some reality shows, Amazing Race, Survivor, Big Brother are a few I enjoy. (i guess you could type these as psychological/contest types) I really dislike the reality shows that involves selecting a mate/love match. Like the Batchelor. I'm not really fond of the talent types of reality show (America's got Talent) or the more gross ones like Fear Factor. Or the Donald Trump hired/fired business ones.
2- Shows I watch, anything about early history and life then, dinosaurs, animals, psychic stuff, ghosts. Lots of history channel, National Geographic stuff. Sci-Fi channel too. Not sure if the Mark and Ollie series on Travel Channel (? I think) qualify as reality, they are real. but fit more in the documentary slot. I love the few of those we have seen.
Dont watch much mystery, cop drama or that sort of show. I let Wolfie watch the hard core science shows alone.
3- My favorite reality show is a toss up between Amazing Race and Survivor.

Tanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Cosmic Dancer
Really Mega Poster

Cosmic Dancer is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1. I'm not a fan, mainly as they feel kinda old to me now. I got addicted to Big Brother when it was first around. However after the fifth one (I think we are now in series 10) I decided I had better things to do with my time, as BB can take over your life totally for up to 3 months of the year. So I don't watch them any more. I've never been a fan of the talent style things, whether singing, dancing or ice skating. This is due to the judging bit; it really annoys me! I have never watched a survivor series, so don't really know what they are like.

2. I don't watch much TV. In an average day I watch news and weather and not much else. I like some quizzes and can love documentaries, especially if there is a science link in there somewhere. I also like sci fi shows, although I rarely watch them currently.

3. I don't have a favourite reality TV show.

Joined F2P March 2006 & P2P July 2007
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
prekharper
Super Moderator

prekharper is on a distinguished road
I tend to often have so-called "reality" shows on as background noise. Basically I laugh at them, particularly the celebrity-type ones.

prekharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
Lily
Super Poster

Lily is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1..I'm not QUITE sure what reality shows are. But in the main, I don't like them.

2..I don't watch sit-coms. (shudder) all that canned laughter!

3. See (1)

Having said that, a show I am enjoyed at the moment is called "Who Do You Think You Are" and follows a public person around in their search to find out who their ancesters were. That's got to be a reality show! It's British, but no reason why it should not be done in America

"The gaze of the wolf reaches into our soul."
-Barry Lopez
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Mausey
More Super Poster

Mausey is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Some I like and some I don't. I enjoy Survivor simply because I get such a kick out of the people. I know that's it's edited and very carefully chosen scenes are all we see. But I still can't help wondering what some of those people are thinking. I sometimes catch The Amazing Race and like that one.

I've absolutely no desire to watch Big Brother or any of the others, especially the bachelor/bachelorette ones.

I prefer shows like N.C.I.S., C.S.I. Almost anything on ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, Mayan, Toltec etc. I also like watching the Sea Hunters, it's a group, mostly Canadian, who travel around trying to find lost ships and what really happened to them. Last one I saw they were looking for the Lady Gale (I think that's the name), the real ship that went down in the movie Perfect Storm.

Mausey is offline   Reply With Quote